Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fablehaven Book 4 Launch

One of the great things about living in Utah is learning from the fabulous mass of authors that consider Utah home. I've had the wonderful opportunity several times in the last six months to meet authors like Shannon Hale, James Dashner, Brandon Mull, Tracy and Laura Hickman, Jessica Day George, and several more. Last week I attended small portions of Brandon Mull's release activities for Fablehaven Book 4: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary.

Brandon attended a pre-launch party book signing at Deseret Book in Midvale, UT on Tuesday, March 24th. Even though my daughter and I arrived twenty minutes early (a lot later than I hoped for) we were about thirtieth in line. By the time the book signing began the line nearly went out the back entrance after swirling around several rows of books, crafts, etc. Even though the line was long (and Brandon was a little late) he still took the time to talk to each person as he signed their books and posed for pictures.



Later that evening I arrived late to the launch party to see a mass of teens and their parents leaving from the Cottonwood High School auditorium in Murray, UT. When I entered the auditorium to see what I missed there were still hundreds of people milling around checking out the dragon decorated stage, grabbing posters, and talking about the fun presentation that had just occurred. In the hallways outside of the auditorium there were booths for purchasing Fablehaven t-shirts, people decorated up as characters from the books, and games for everyone to participate in. Overall it was an amazing book release party (even if I did miss the main part).



Brandon was not the only author at the release party. I also saw James Dashner and Shannon Hale there. It would seem that even well published authors enjoy attending and supporting their fellow authors.



As I continue the process to become a published author, I look forward to a time down the road when I can participate in a release party of my very own. If you ever need motivation to keep on writing check out any book signings or release parties that are scheduled near you and go see what the future may hold for you. Keep up the good work on your writing and don't give up hope.

No comments: