Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Provo Children's Book Festival

This last weekend my family and I attended the Provo Children's Book Festival held at the Provo Library. I was so excited to see the enormous crowd that gathered from the smallest babe to the not so young. The festival promoted literacy by welcoming author's and illustrator's the likes of Shannon Hale (and her hubby Dean), Brandon Mull, J. Scott Savage, Ann Cannon, Mette Ivie Harrison Nathan Hale, Aprilynne Pike and many, many more.

I briefly poked my head into the Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion Panel which included Shannon & Dean Hale, Jessica Day George, Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, J. Scott Savage and James Dashner. Everyone was so excited to see these awesome authors that there was standing room only. It felt great to get a nod from the good old James Dashner when I entered the room, and to see Jessica Day George with her baby. Everyone in the room was eager to learn from the panel what it takes to write fantasy & sci-fi (until the room rang out with the harsh sounds of the fire alarm which a wandering child had pulled). I'm glad that I took my camera though and was able to get a few pictures of the panel.



In the main room of the festival there was plenty to keep people engaged including regular puppet shows, musical chairs (to win books and posters), people dressed up in costumes, arts and crafts, and book signings from over twenty different authors and illustrators.



I was able to meet with several of my favorite authors who willing autographed books, posters, etc. that we will be prizes as future giveaway's on the book review website FabulousReads which my friend Stephanie and I run. Check us out on a regular basis to read our reviews and see what fabulous giveaways we might be running at the time.

My writer's tip for this week is to support your favorite authors by looking online to see when they maybe coming to a town or library near you. Go and sit at their feet and soak up the words they say. You might discover the one piece of information that makes everything click for you as an author, sending you down the path of publication and adventure. Good luck and keep on writing.

No comments: