Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Olympics vs. Quantum Physics

The last two days I have split my time equally between watching the Olympics and reading James Dashner's book The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters during those few moments when my sweet adorable, but tired and sick and sick of being tired and sick daughter finally falls asleep. During those sweet few moments that I can hold my baby, having been able to calm her enough that she is sleeping fitfully, but still sleeping, I would read a few pages of the book during the commercials that break up the Olympics, oh and throw in some house cleaning (talk about multi-tasking), and a pulled muscle in my back.

Needless to say, I've actually quite enjoyed myself. Yes my child isn't feeling well, but I have the magic ability of getting her to smile even when she feels ill, then help her calm enough to eventually fall asleep. Now that is a lovely super power to have. Plus I still have had time to read a little, watch amazing people accomplish fantastic things all in a country that I have longed to visit for umpteen years (amazingly fabulous opening ceremonies by the way), and tag-team clean the house with my fantastic husband. Granted in this marvelous forty eight hours the sleeping part of things has been minimal and fitful on my part. Oh well, sacrifices must be made if I'm ever to become a great writer.

"What?" you might ask. Well, doesn't a greater writer get most of his/her inspiration from life - living it, reading about it, or watching others live it? If I could just avoid the necessity of sleep imagine what an incredible author I could be come in say 10, 20 or 30 years. Oh well, in the meantime, I will pick up where I left off on my endeavors to review my notes for book 2 for the Nedaran Prophecy series.

My final words of wisdom from this stranger on one minor blog page - Don't be afraid to face life and live it. In the end it will be worth it -- eventually. I truly believe this and will not give up on this belief. I promise, cross-my-heart...

No comments: