Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Short Stories vs Novels

I am currently working on writing a short story for an online magazine and I've learned that it is a whole different ball game to write a short story than a novel. You may think...short stories are short, right? So they should be easier to write. They shouldn't take as much thought and no where near as much revision. I have learned that it is just as hard, if not harder in its own way, to write a short story versus a full length book.

With a short story you have only a few pages to get your entire point across. You don't have as much time to flush out the details of the characters, the plot, etc. What's even more difficult is that I'm trying to write a funny short story. Right!!!! I am much more able to be funny when I'm talking to a person, then when I write. However, I am bound and determined to write a funny short story. I have a feeling that I will be going through several drafts before the editor even gets to take a peek at it.

So, my writing tip for the day...whether you are writing a full length novel or a short story you must put your best foot forward. You must do the work and put in the time to make it quality reading. It is rarely easy, but it is a wonderful thing when you read the final peace and realize "Hey, that is pretty good. Did I write that?"

Good luck and keep on writing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Had to smile. I began my writing career with short stories, and now find it hard to expand into a novel :-)

You're absolutely right, though, short is tight, and that means careful crafting all the time. Fun though. Especially when all is done and the satisfaction factor settles in.

By the way, there's another contest running on my blog this week, in case you're interested. It's such a good book.